Thursday, June 28, 2012

What The Buncombe County Attorney Has to Say RE: Recording of Public Meetings of the WHN LME Board: No Useful Information



On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Michael C. Frue wrote:
> Dear Dr. Hammond -
>
> County ownership of buildings is not determinative of whether recording of public meetings is allowed or not.  Generally speaking, however, such recordings of public meetings is permissible.  The sign at 356 Biltmore you mention is not a County sign nor does it express County policy. I understand the sign is left over from a former tenant.
>
> You should direct your specific questions to the Western Highlands Network LME and its attorney, Vic Buchannon.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Michael C. Frue
> Buncombe County Attorney
> 205 College Street
> Asheville, NC  28801
> p.  828-250-4121
> c.  828-231-1572
_______________________________________________________________


Mr. Frue, Buncombe County attorney:

thank you for your note.  I will ask the WHN LME operator tomorrow for the e mail address of the WHN LME attorney as you have advised.  

Other people across NC have asked me about this matter of recording the LME meetings.  Therefore, perhaps it is a state rules and regs matter.  I am asking for clarification re: this from you, please.

I do not believe that the sign is 'left over' from a former tenant of 356 Biltmore Avenue.  I have never seen it before.  Neither has the board member, listed below, noted it before.

Can you please give me a link to any legal information as associated with your statement: "Generally speaking, however, such recordings of public meetings is permissible. "

 I expressed my concern to Arthur Carder, CEO of WHN LME last week when I saw the sign-----told Nettie Jones, a Board Member of WHN LME of my concern who is the Buncombe County Rep.  I have heard nothing from Mr. Carder.

I appreciate you sending me any rule and regs info re: this important public matter.

Sincerely,

Marsha V. Hammond, PhD


>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Marsha Hammond,PhD [mailto:chomskysright@gmail.com]
> Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 2:25 PM
> To: Michael C. Frue
> Cc: David Gantt
> Subject: WHN LME: No More Public Recordings in Public Building
>
> FROM: Marsha V. Hammond, PhD
> Clinical / Health Psychology
> NC Licensed Psychologist
> cell: 828 772 1127
> e mail: chomskysright@gmail.com
> NC Mental Health Reform blogspot, since 2007:
> http://madame-defarge.blogspot.com/
>
> TO: Michael Frue, JD, Buncombe County Attorney
>
> RE: sign posted at 356 Billtmore Avenue, Asheville, NC 28801, Buncombe County owned building, rented by Western Highlands Network LME
>
> Date: June 22, 2012
>
> Dear Mr. Frue:
>
> Thank you, in advance, for your response. I asked Wanda Greene and Mr.
> Israel and they referred me to you.
>
> Can you tell me where to find the rules and regulations as associated with Buncombe County Buildings---public buildings-----that forbids the public recording of public meetings?
>
> Unlike in the past, and as associated with increased pressure to be accountable to the public, at 356 Biltmore Avenue, the entrance to Western Highlands Network LME, there is posted in large letters an admonition that no public recording may take place in meetings in the building.
>
> Until recently, there was a gentleman----you may know him----I call him 'Citizen Jerry' who dresses up in a clean shirt and tie and records all of Buncombe County public meetings.  I arrived belatedly at the budget meeting today for WHN LME so I do not know if he was there but I was there and I was going to digitially record the meeting.
>
> Please advise me what the rules are as associated with buildings which are property of Buncombe County and its citizens as pertaining to this matter.
>
> thank you.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Marsha V. Hammond, PhD
>
> cc: David Gannt; Nettie Jones




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home